Named after Melrose Abbey in Scotland, this Victorian/Edwardian style house now serves as a museum.
In 1886, George Hayes, a successful businessman, built this historic house. During the Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902), the house was taken over by the British forces and was used as their headquarters. On May 31st, 1902, the Treaty of Vereeniging, which terminated the war, was signed there.
Melrose House still contains most of its original furniture and finishings, including stained glass windows, and exquisite carpets. The house also overlooks the impressive Burger’s Park, which is situated across the street.
Antique fairs and other exhibitions are regularly hosted in the gardens of Melrose House, and there is also a tea garden.